All good things must come to an end. What a depressing way to start a blog post, huh? I suppose that it’s true however. I’m currently sitting in my Frankfurt hotel, watching a World Cup match between Uruguay and South Korea, and counting down my final hours in Germany. The last week in Weimar just flew by, somewhat aided by Mary’s departure last weekend. But because I had a lot of “alone” time, I was able to do a little reflecting on my five-week stay in Germany. I have had the incredible opportunity to soak-in so much during this time. I know that my earlier post dealt with all of the important musical institutions I have experienced, but this week was more about German culture in general.
I would have to say that of all of the travels I have done thus far, I feel that Germany fits my personality and demeanor the most. I imagine the town of Weimar has a lot with that feeling. Its size, history, music, and culture make it a real gem. Mary and I both found ourselves comparing it to Bloomington, Indiana (where we lived from 2006-2009). There is a large university, a fantastic music conservatory, a vibrant outdoor farmer’s market, and efficient public transportation. At some point while living in Indiana, I think that we mentioned that Bloomington would be a great place for a musician to retire – plenty of activities in the day, great food, and a music school that would keep us “in the loop.” After these five weeks in Weimar, I would have a difficult time choosing between the two.
This morning I was strolling around the Marktplatz right outside my apartment trying to kill some time before heading to the train station, and I had a great conversation with fellow Minnesota Twins fan I had ran into a few weeks before. She is a master’s student at the Bauhaus University studying public art and is currently completing her thesis that deals with German perception of America and American culture. The focal point of her project is a food stand that she sets up in public spaces. This morning she was making blueberry pancakes for anyone that wanted one, free of charge. She said that the lack of a price is something that Germans generally do not understand, whereas you can get a multitude of free samples at a grocery store in America. She mentioned that some Germans will give her a “donation,” sometimes in the form of money or sometimes even in the form of a hug. She said the point of not charging for her food is to engage her “customers” in conversation about American business practice and the corporatization that most Germans associate with America. They know the big American things like McDonald’s or MTV, but have little idea of how a town like Bloomington operates. One interesting thing happened while I was sitting at her booth – a “usual” customer walked by and noticed her lemonade pitcher was empty. She said that she had run out of lemons, so the gentleman said to wait a moment and in five minutes he returned with a bad full of lemons and several bottles of water. He began to cut the lemons, juice them, and mix in sugar to make what I’m sure is fantastic lemonade. This guy did this not expecting anything in return or to be reimbursed for purchasing the lemons and water – unbelievable!
It is often said that first impressions are the most important, but in this instance, the final impression is what I will keep in my mind as I head home.
No comments:
Post a Comment