Monday, June 21, 2010

Alles hat ein Ende...und einen Anfang

I'm marking the longest day of the year from my hotel room in Frankfurt, watching the sun set over the German Autobahn and the mountains west of the city.


Technically, though, tomorrow will be the longest day of the year for me--about 6 hours longer, while I fly back to the USA. I'm flying into Dulles Airport via DFW, arriving at 9:55 PM, followed by an hour drive to Castleton (someone else is driving, definitely not me!). So I probably won't get to sleep at least until midnight, which is 6 AM Weimar time. My goal is to sleep as little as possible on the flight so I can sleep in the next morning and, dare I say it, beat jet lag entirely on this trip. Chances are, though, that that previous sentence will draw the attention of the jet lag gods, who will smite me with inappropriately-timed sleep and wakefulness. Whoops.

I'm happy to report that this time, I have exactly as much money in my wallet arriving at the hotel as I did leaving the airport train station. The sink is in the room instead of in the bathroom, so lucky for me, if I need to wash my hands in the middle of the night I won't even have to get out of bed. Actually, that's a good thing for now, because I just finished my snack of a Walnuß Brötchen mit Nutella, and as Andy can tell you, I can't eat Nutella without getting it all over my face and hands.

I have a couple other blog posts to write about the things we've done since last Thursday, but I didn't want to spend my last days in Germany writing and re-writing, especially since I'm not entirely sure how to approach at least one of the subjects yet. So those will hopefully be up within the next week, with or without photos, depending on my internet connection.

I'm sad to be leaving Germany, especially since I won't see Andy again for five weeks, but I'm also excited for the next month, during which I'll be making music every day. I feel incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to come here for more than a passing vacation, and to have experienced so many things which have meant a lot to me. I'm not sure how else I can sum this up, and I have more posts I'd like to share, so for now, gute Nacht, bis bald.

1 comment:

  1. Dulles via DFW sounds miserable. Sad that you're leaving as I've enjoyed voyaging with you, but hoping you'll keep writing as I love your stories. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete