Monday, July 8, 2013

Last day

It seemed beastly hot here today (yes, I'll go ahead and say it today), so I am thankful we've had a car to use, because we did a lot of running around.

First, we all slept in this morning. I think this is the first time Andy had gotten a full 8 hours since we got here. Isaac did get up around 5 am, but once I got him back to sleep, he stayed that way until after we had both taken showers and banged around in the kitchen a bunch to make breakfast.

Andy had a short touch-up rehearsal, and Isaac and I ran one more load of laundry to get us through the end of this trip. We briefly stopped into Andy's rehearsal during the wash cycle, then over to Kresge Auditorium during dryer time to see some of the other orchestra's rehearsal. We ran into our friend who told us that the camp store was having a music clearance sale, so I went to check it out, plying Isaac with snacks so he would be patient. I got some student music and a few things that looked interesting to me, including a concerto by Martinu that I would like to learn sometime, but sometime isn't a justification for the price; it's an expensive score. But I bought it for $5 today. So I'm pretty excited about the whole deal.

We had a good lunch at Bud's restaurant with friends, then back for abbreviated naptime before the concert. I was able to go in and sit, since we had arranged for someone to play with Isaac during the concert. They played The Sorcerer's Apprentice and a tone poem by Dvořák called The Golden Spinning Wheel. Both pieces are based on poems and coordinate very specifically with the words, so Andy arranged to have the poems projected line by line above the stage in coordination with music.

Our friend Scott and his girlfriend came to the concert, so we had dinner with them afterward and went to Moomers for ice cream again. And again, Isaac fell asleep in the car, so we ate at a picnic table next to our parking spot. It was just as well, since he had an interrupted nap and we are up late again. Then, back to campus for the other orchestra's concert, and this time I stayed out with Isaac to walk around and explore.

Now to pack up what we can tonight. Andy is going to the Traverse City airport in the morning to get our rental car, back here to pick us up, check out, etc., and on to Indiana for a couple of days. I hope I remember to post this before we go, I don't know if I'll have a chance to access the WiFi on the main campus.

We have had a great time here. I can't wait to get back to my own bed, though. Not to exaggerate too much but our bed here might be the worst bed ever. I'll update again if I have a chance, but in case not, we are back home late Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment