Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Brass ensemble concert

<p>As usual, today was a busy day. Isaac once again slept until 9:30 this morning, which is so nice. The problem, though, is that he's been too cold at night and has been waking up in the early morning needing more cover. Once he got that, he slept a long time. So by the time we ate breakfast and slowly got ready to go, it was nearly lunchtime.</p>
<p>After lunch we stayed on campus to play, since Isaac didn't seem tired and he really hadn't had much time to explore. So mostly we wandered around the area near the Minnesota building. We saw the Robert DeNiro lookalike again. I guess it's not really him. He appeared to be with a spouse, who was on staff (i.e. wearing the uniform), and surely if that were the case, people would know about him being here. We also played a bit with two girls who are day campers here, who we have seen a lot and they have taken a real liking to Isaac. Also, there is maybe a bass player on faculty from when I was in youth symphony? I will have to talk to the guy the next time I see him. We saw him while roaming around, but I didn't work up the nerve. There is also maybe a girl on staff who went on the IU honors program. Again, haven't asked her, but her name and face seem familiar, she's from IN, and the right age.</p>
<p>We went into the library for a little bit before heading home for naptime. There is a music library and an academic library, the latter of which has a small children's book section. I was able to check a few out, including the book you see below...I couldn't resist. I've decided I should check out a new building each day, since we've really gone through the same places all of last week. I hear the film and visual art buildings have some good things to see.</p>
<p>Isaac took a good nap, and I was able to finish my book and practice a bit during it. I was still playing when he woke up, so I went in his room and played a little for him. And when I stopped, he clapped for me. That was pretty cool.</p>
<p>Then time for dinner and the faculty brass ensemble concert, which Andy conducted. Isaac and I listened to most of it through the speaker in Andy's dressing room. Isaac played with a few toys, pushed his stroller around the room, pushed the trashcan around the room, looked at photos on the computer. Best of all, he was contained in a plain (not kid hazardous) room and I could sit instead of chasing him. Maybe that sounds boring but it was actually awesome. We went around to the front of the auditorium so we could at least watch the final piece. That was arguably not a success but at least the squeals were mostly during loud moments. But the group sounded great, and I enjoyed listening, at least, even if I mostly didn't see Andy conduct. Blurry photo below of Isaac playing in the dressing room.</p>
<p>Isaac was oh so ready for bed by then. He went to sleep pretty easily and Andy and I broke out the baby monitor and walked to a nearby cabin for a bonfire. </p>
<p>End of day. I'm not proofreading this tonight, so excuse any slips of the thumb as I type on my phone. </p>



No comments:

Post a Comment