Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Friends to play with

Today is Tuesday, right? I'm having trouble remembering what day it is. That's good, right? Means it's a relaxing vacation?

Isaac and I were on our own this morning. Andy's rehearsal today, and for the next several days, is inside, so it would be too conspicuous for us to go watch. Instead, we played outside our cabin for a while. We had left a load of laundry in the dryer last night at our friends' house, and I was supposed to go get it at 11 today. So we walked over about 45 minutes early and stopped at the nearby house of a family a few doors down. They live here year-round and we met them the other night; they have children close to Isaac's age. They invited us to drop in any time to play, and I didn't get a phone number to call first, so I decided to be brave and just go. I have a hard time being that outgoing, but I guess you have to assume that nice people don't extend invitations like that if they don't mean it. I was glad we went, since Isaac obviously had such a good time, and I liked the adults a lot, too. They insisted on loading us up with some books and toys to borrow, and told us we could trade them out whenever. So it was all really nice of them.

After picking up the laundry, we met Andy for lunch. Then while he made a phone call, Isaac and I found the activity building, with toys and games. We walked out onto the dock and around in the sand a bit, and learned there is a Kindermusik type class for little kids every day at 11:15. So we're planning to go tomorrow.

One set of our neighbors offered to lend us a car whenever we want to use it, since they brought two and they sympathized with being at Interlochen with a small child and no car. And yes, there is some cabin fever going on here. So after naptime we drove a mile or so south to a park that had swings, slides, and lots of sand. Then we drove to Traverse City for dinner. We went to what turned out to be an amazingly delicious restaurant, and sat out on the patio for the meal. Unfortunately, our sweet little social boy decided not to be a good sport and threw a fit before the food came. He usually does so well when we eat out, but I guess that was bound to change sometime. I was glad we were on the patio, at least, since it merged with the sidewalk so we could take turns walking Isaac around while the other person ate. An older couple at the restaurant was making faces and waving at him while we were walking, and the man told me we were doing a good job with him, which made me feel better since at the moment I decidedly did NOT feel like we were doing a great job. Part of the problem is the teething; he's irritable and wants to chew on everything. This includes the table, rocks, my shoulder, whatever. And we won't let him chew on rocks, say, and that makes him angrier. I wanted to hide under the table, or leave cash and slink away. It was embarrassing but I guess we should get used to that if we want to eat out with a toddler.

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home for miscellaneous things, including some hard (I hope) teething biscuits for him. He was up about 3:30 am last night, I hope that doesn't get repeated. He's getting the top tooth to the left of the incissors. Is that an eye tooth? I can't remember, but I don't think it's an incissor, canine, or molar, so I guess that's it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, today is Wednesday, but I'm assuming you wrote this yesterday. The eating out with kids thing is pretty unpredictable for a long time and really I've come to accept that unless you are at the most posh of places everyone gets it and this just happens. I suspect it was not nearly as bad as you thought from the outside (this is my hope as we're about to get on an airplane with three kids). It sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure and making the best of tricky circumstances. Hooray for memories made and time together!

    ReplyDelete