Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fourteen straight hours of sleep later

Who says you can't beat jet lag? With only eight hours of sleep under my belt in the fifty hours prior to going to sleep at 6 PM last night (and four of those sleep hours were while traveling), I think two nights' worth of sleep in one night was justified. The trip itself was uneventful, and it was all I could do to stay awake on the train (note: I didn't stay awake) to watch out the window at the beautiful countryside. After all, how often do you pull into a train station and see the castle where Martin Luther translated the Bible into German, plus a sign reminding you that this is the town where J.S. Bach was born? Not often, in case you're wondering.

After all the time traveling, I decided to walk from the Hauptbahnhof to the apartment, where one of A's colleagues was supposed to meet me to let me in. There is, however, only one key to this place, so we had to find A at the university and interrupt his class for the key, so that I could get inside and finally take the behemoth hundred-pound viola case off my back.

Our apartment is very nice, and right on the Marktplatz. After all my complaining about our apartment at home, bathed in the claustrophobic pink light reflected off the building next to us, our apartment here is positively thrilling. We're on the second floor, and this is the view out the window:

After A returned from class, we ran a few errands around town, including some groceries for our very petite kitchen. Finally, we capped the afternoon off with that traditional German dish, pizza, for our dinner. Triumphant that I had remained awake until 6 PM, I celebrated with a fourteen-hour nap. Have I really managed to beat jet lag? We shall see, but in the meantime, I'm ready to see how many more amused looks my poor grasp of the German language can get me.

4 comments:

  1. You made it! Exciting! I can't wait to read more!
    --ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you've arrived safely. ;) Being right in the Fussgangerzone should be lots of fun - Enjoy!

    Your plants are doing well, and I think the little one might be thinking about blooming!

    Take care, and remember to sit and just soak it all in occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amadeus. I forgot to mention that I've also gone back in time.

    ReplyDelete